Sunday, December 16, 2012

Week 12: Thanksgiving and Italian Subs

Happy Thanksgiving!

I would be less happy if I had fought my food coma to stay up and watch the Patriots lose, but since we spanked the Jets 49-19, my holiday ended on a very good note.   For the past 4 weeks the Patriots have put up an average of 45.7 points per game and won by an an even more impressive 27.3 points per game.  (Let it be said that I did NOT compile those numbers myself.  I don’t do math.  I simply read about it on SBNation.)




This game was both a Patriots win and a Jets meltdown.  On the Patriots side of things, 6 different players scored TDs.  Edelman (2), Brady, Vereen, Ridley, Gregory and Welker.  On the Jets side, they turned the ball over 5 times, one of which will live in infamy as Sanchez ran into his own player's butt and fumbled the ball.  



Now, if you think that I put together a Jet-Centric meal on Thanksgiving, you’re crazy.  But I am posting about my famous Sub Sauce so you can make your own Italians.

Italian Sub Sauce:

Ingredients: (for 4-6 subs)
2 Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
½ Small Red Onion, minced
1 Cup Dill Pickles, diced (1/2 Cup if you don’t like them as much)
6 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, chopped
2 Cloves Minced Garlic
1 teaspoon Dried Basil
¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
Pinch of Dried Oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
*Optional - 1 Tablespoon FINELY MINCED Jalapenos.  



Directions:
1. Combine and let sit 1 hour.  Use to top an Italian Sub.

To put together the Sub, I like to toast the bread with Provolone on top, then pull it out and add Mortadella, Ham, Salami, Banana Peppers and the Sub Sauce in the middle.  If you want Lettuce, add it on top of the sauce.  Personally, since it tastes like nothing, I don’t think it contributes anything to the sandwich and I don’t bother adding it.  



Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment