The first preseason game of the year is always a bit anticlimactic for me. I get excited for it, I plan for it, and then I end up switching back and forth between the game and Chopped because all of my favorite players aren’t in the game at the same time and kicking a little Jaguar tail. As much as I love Woodhead, I wouldn’t mind seeing a few other familiar players on the field. Not to mention tonight’s Chopped episode has Amanda Freitag as a judge. That woman rocks a kitchen. She totally should have won The Next Iron Chef two seasons ago.
Even though we aren’t entertaining this evening, there is no sense in abandoning our usual corniness of creating a menu based on famous foods from the opponents hometown. And by our, I mean my. In honor of Florida and their abundance of citrus fruit, we went with Orange Rosemary Pork Chops, Raw Squash Salad and a simple Herbed Rice.
Orange Rosemary Pork Chops
- 4 Pork Chops
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary, Chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Shallot, Minced
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- ⅓ Cup Orange Juice
- ⅓ Cup Chicken Broth
1. Heat EVOO in large skillet over Medium High heat. While pan is warming, season the Chops with Rosemary, Salt and Pepper. Brown Chops for 5 minutes per side and transfer to serving platter. Cover to keep warm.
2. Add Onion and Garlic to pan and saute until soft. Add Juice and Broth, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce by half, approximately 3 minutes.
3. Pour of Chops and serve with rice.
Raw Squash Salad
- 1 medium Zucchini
- 2 medium Yellow Squash
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced fresh mint or Basil
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- ½ tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 3 slices prosciutto,extra thick, chopped
- ¼ Cup crumbled Feta
1. Shave Zucchini and Squash into thin strips. Discard seeds. Place in a medium bowl and toss with salt.
2. Combine mint through pepper in a small bowl. Whisk. Pour over squash. Toss.
3. Cook Proscuitto until crisp
4. Plate squash, top with Proscuitto and Feta.