Monday, August 15, 2011

A Communication Breakdown

I always thought Dan and I were great communicators.  Even if we didn’t come right out and say something, we knew what the other meant.  Like when Dan would call on Friday afternoons and say he had “a meeting in Conference Room D,” I knew he meant he was going to JJ’s to have drinks with his coworkers.  And when I would say I was just going to “take a quick peek in DSW,” Dan would know that he might as well go sit in the food court because it was going to be awhile.  I was wrong.  

Me: You grill the fish for 10 minutes with the lid down.
Dan: When do I flip it?
Me: No flipping.

2 minutes later...

Me: Put the lid down!
Dan: Should I flip it now?
Me: No flipping.

1 Minute later...
Me: Put the lid down!

1 Minute later:
Dan: I think I should flip it.
Me: STOP OPENING THE LID!

2 minutes later...
Dan: It’s done!

It wasn’t done!  The man is crazy.  I told him he was never cooking fish again.  I can’t decide if he was just being obtuse or if this was one of his “I don’t want to have to do this, so I am going to do it so bad she will never ask me to do it again” moments.  Upon reflection, no-one could be that confused about the phrase “10 minutes with the cover down.”.  

Well played, Dan. Well Played.  

Tonight we used 3 recipes that were given to me by family and friends.  My sister Heather turned me onto Chef Paul’s “Magic Seasoning” and this two step Salmon Recipe, the Green Beans recipe was created by the most fantastic baker I know - the Lovely Lainie, and the Risotto recipe was created by my Sunday Funday partner-in-crime, Erica.  



Two Step Salmon
Ingredients:
  • 1 Lb Salmon, cut into 2-3” strips
  • Chef Paul’s “Seafood Magic”

Directions:
1. Heat grill.  Lay Salmon skin side down on foil and generously spice with Seafood Magic.
2. Grill for 10 minutes WITH THE LID DOWN.



Green Beans with Shallots and Almonds
Ingredients:
  • ½ Lb Fresh Green Beans, snapped and rinsed
  • 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
  • 4 Tbsp EVOO
  • 2 Shallots, thinly sliced
  • Salt and Pepper



Directions:
1. In a small bowl, combine EVOO, Garlic, Salt and Pepper.  Stir together.  
2. Put Green Beans and Shallots in a foil packet. Pour oil mixture over Beans.  Seal packet and Toss.
3. Grill for 10-15 minutes, flipping once.



Parmesan Risotto with Artichokes
Ingredients:
  • 1 (32 oz) Can Chicken Broth
  • 2 Tbsp Butter
  • 2 Shallots, diced
  • 1 Cup Arborio Rice
  • ½ Cup White Wine
  • ¼ Cup Freshly grated Parmesan
  • 1 small jar Marinated Artichoke Hearts
  • Salt and Pepper

Directions:
1. Heat broth in a medium pan on the stove top.
2. Roughly chop Artichokes and set aside. Add the liquid from the jar to the Broth.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt Butter and add Shallots.  Cook 4 minutes.  Add Arborio, cook 3 minutes.  Add Wine and cook until absorbed, stirring constantly.
4. Add Broth 1 ladle at a time, always waiting until the last ladle was absorbed before adding more.
5. Once all the broth is absorbed, remove from heat and add Parmesan, Salt, Pepper and Artichokes.  Serve immediately.


Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment